Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Black Thumb


In case some of you are wondering, DH and I have decided not to post pictures of the Baby on the blog, for privacy's sake. He is doing great though, getting bigger everyday. I love to nurse and hold him, which leaves little time for much else!

In the few quiet moments, I've been reading Dorothy Whipple, an English novelist in the 1930's-50's. I finished The Priory after we got home from the hospital, and have started on The Great Mr. Knight. Jane Brocket in her book The Gentle Art of Domesticity suggests that these are domestic novels. I have to disagree with that interpretation in the case of The Priory,which chronicles a highly dysfunctional family, who are in economic hardships precisely because they have no turn for the domestic. I have yet to form an opinion about Mr. Knight. Some recent chapter was speaking of a housewife's plans for her garden, and that got me thinking about mine. "My garden" is just a very modest little plot outside in our backyard that I try my darndest to keep flowering through the spring and summer. My track record with plants is not good; we had pots of ivy on the tables at our wedding, and they were given to people as they left, and we took one for ourselves. Well, I have now killed our wedding ivy, plus 5 cuttings that have been given to us in the intervening 3 1/2 years. The only remaining ivy's that are flourishing reside with my mom, DH's mom, and family friends. So I guess they're all keeping our marriage alive!

Anybody with tips for growing houseplants, send them my direction, please.

No comments: