Sunday, January 11, 2009

Domestic Disasters

Thursday night DH indulged me and bought me a copy of The Gentle Art of Domesticity. It is a delightful book, full of inspiration for using the home as a canvas for the gentle arts of needlework, baking, and nature. Jane Brocket, her tone a little self-consciously high-brow at times, writes of finding ideas in the everyday, and seeing colors, textures and patterns in domestic life. I've been reading it while knitting and feel super-charged to make wonderful things.

So, while reading this book full of artistic domestic successes, two of my most exciting projects fell sadly flat. The quilted farmyard is not turning out how I had envisioned it. It will need some serious embroidering and embellishment to make it really acceptable. I cannot even bring myself to post a picture of it right now, it is hidden away in a drawer to be examined in a more rational state of mind.

And, my cute baby bunting, after washing and drying, is now full of semi-holes and loops where the eco-friendly dryer balls pulled the threads. Ahhhhhhhhh!

No comments: